The sun has multiple effects on the skin, some beneficial, other harmful. Beyond its positive effects on morale, the sun is above all the main cause of premature skin aging.
The sun has many harmful effects. There are immediate effects and long-term effects:
Immediate Effects of the Sun on the Skin:
• Sunburn, called “solar erythema”, may appear quickly if you are not properly protected from UVs. A lack of vigilance is often the cause of sunburns: afternoons on the terrace, cloudy summer days or cool winds make us forget the consequences of exposure. If repeated or intense, sunburns can leave sequelae like small pigmented spots called “solar lentigo”;
• Benign summer polymorphous light eruption is a consequence of the sun very common among young women. It is described as a sun allergy because it appears most often during the first exposures as small pimples and red patches that cause itching. The condition may diminish or, on the contrary, worsen;
• Drug intake or applying cosmetics can lead to phototoxicity and photoallergic reactions: they appear as a “sunburn” type reaction. Do not hesitate to talk about this to your doctor or pharmacist.
• It is best to go in the sun before noon or after 4:00 pm, avoiding times when sunrays are at their strongest;
• Remember to wear a hat and sunglasses;
• Frequently apply sun cream, and complete with the intake of a dietary supplement.
Long-Term Effects of the Sun on the Skin:
The effects of the sun cause premature aging in all skin types. With repeated UV exposure, skin becomes thinner, and wrinkles and small spots start to appear.
Intensive UV exposure can cause excessive oxidative stress and irreversible damage to skin cell genes. Adequate protection is therefore necessary to avoid future physiological disorders.
How to Protect Yourself from the Harmful Effects of the Sun
To fully enjoy the sun while being well protected, it is important to follow basic prevention recommendations:
Indeed, the oral route helps prevent excessive oxidative stress and free radicals, creating an environment within the skin to fight free radicals and prevent them from causing damage. Combined with solar creams and instructions for use, an effective dietary supplement helps you protect your skin health to maintain its youthful appearance.